Noisy Cricket – Part 2 – Parts Arrival


cricketI was beginning to think that the United States Post Office had fallen in love with my Noisy Cricket parts but today, they finally arrived.  Only three days late… Way to go USPS!

When I got home today, I was greeted with my box of goodies containing the parts (plus some extras) to make up on Noisy Cricket.  I ordered a couple of upgrades so I can have a separate LED for my grit switch.  I pulled everything out from the copious amounts of packing peanuts to find that everything but my potentiometers made it.  I’m not worried because I forgot to get sockets for the ICs and the transistors, so I will be placing another order soon.

Maybe the Post Office can maybe NOT route my stuff through the South Pole this time.

Here’s some pictures of my parts…

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Advertisements

Noisy Cricket – Part One


cricketA couple weeks ago, I posted about building the Noisy Cricket, a small 1 watt solid-state guitar amp. Earlier this week, I ordered the parts to build one. The parts are coming from Mammoth Electronics . They have a good selection of parts and good prices as well. Their target demographic is diy pedal makers, so they had everything I needed.

Unfortunately, the order didn’t ship in time to make it here before the holiday weekend. I looks like sometime Tuesday and I will post up pictures of all the goodies when I get them.

Fireguts: Rewired


hmmmYeah, I had to rewire the LP.  To summarize, I had the bridge and neck pickups switched around at the the selector switch, and while attempting some minor repairs, messed up the switch.  Well, that is done but I did learn a few things about working with LPs.

First thing you need to do is your wiring.  Since the wires go through small channels between the switch and the control cavity, you need to get them in place first.  This I did.

Next, give yourself some extra slack on the wires so if you make mistakes, you can easily fix them.  I did NOT do this and paid the price of having to take everything off.  I had to remove the pickups, and the wires.  I tried to use one old wire to guide in a couple new ones.  It’s a long story but I ended up making things worse, so I just bit the bullet, took off the strings, the pickups and rewired the whole bloody thing.  I feel better about it.

I also revisited the grounding wire for the tail piece bushing.  I tucked it in real good.  I know I’m getting continuity but I still have a buzz.  Maybe it’s the switch.  This is burgling my chi.  It might also be the pickups that cost $10.00 for both.  Either way, Seymour Duncan’s will find a new home here.  Just not today.

Finally, I wired up the Sprague Orange Drops and tested the output.  Everything is wired correctly with no scratchy pots or switch.  And yes…. the switch is wired correctly now.

Tonight, I will restring it and do another setup on it.  Maybe I’ll post a clip here.

Local Electronics Surplus for the Win


Orange DropsI posted a couple of days ago about my newest project, the noisy cricket.  Well, I started sourcing the parts at Radio Shack, but I honestly didn’t feel much love there.  You see, Radio Shack really wants to be the cell phone shack and their stock of electronics components pales to what they used to carry.  So, I paid more than sourcing from mouser.com but I found a couple of things I needed to get started.

Yesterday, I made my way over to my local electronic s component surplus store, Skycraft, and had a field day.  If you’re a builder/maker, these kinds of stores are perfect for you.  I was able to find most of my missing parts but I came across this.  First, I noticed that Stewmac.com sells Sprague Orange Drop capacitors for $2.99.  I know lots of guys that like these caps and would gladly pay that or more for them.  Skycraft had a bucket of them for $.50.  Guess what I’m doing tonight?

Dont get me wrong, I love Stewmac and Radio Shack has pulled my bum out of the fire a few times but neither Stewmac nor Radio Shack are geared up to source electronic components.  I did a comparison to what I spent at the shack and the equivalent with Mouser.com.  Mouser was easily half the cost, had a better selection, and aside from one part (2N5951 FET), had everything I needed.

I think I need to head back to the shack to do some returns.

Noisy Cricket – A New Project


cricketWhile I had some downtime with the Fireguts and Pining for a Tele projects, I was looking for a small amp building project when I came across the Noisy Cricket developed by Beavis Audio Research.  This is perfect for me and I’m headed out to pick up the parts.  Woo Hoo… another project to blog about.

Fender Squier Refit


fender_americanspecial_strat-200x300This was my first project in working on guitars when I started in 2011.  I purchased a Fender Squier for about $60 with the intention of tearing it down and rebuilding it brick-by-brick.  It was in such good shape, I didn’t have the heart.  I documented the process pretty well on another blog.  It’s located here on DigitalRecordingOnline.com. I will eventually move it over to this one but it’s fine where it’s at for now.

Linux Noob: Reaper On Linux


I love Reaper.  It’s been my go-to Digital Audio Workstation software for over two years and it, hand’s down, has the best bang for the buck for audio engineering (IMHO).  So, when I made the move to Linux, I was rather bummed about not being able to use it.  I have yet to see Linux offerings that provide the same level of complexity and support as I have with Reaper. I know that I just waved the flag inviting a flame war, but that’s my opinion.

So, I have created a post on my other site, DigitalRecordingOnline.com detailing the steps.

I can quickly tell you that I used the following to get it going:

  • Wine
  • WineASIO
  • JACKLab’s XenCenter
  • Reaper

If you have been trying to get this working, check out the walk-through and let me know if it worked for you.