The coolest little tip/trick I’ve used in CQ in a while is the Toggle Preview trick that I came across a while ago. This is not mine and I can’t for the life of me find where I picked it up from, so I apologize for not giving credit where credit is due. I will update this when I find it.
Back to our program: The Toggle Preview – When you are on your author instance, making many fine content edits, you might say to yourself, “Self? I wish I could really see what this page looks like without having to deploy this page to dev/stage/whatever just to see if the CSS it rendering correctly.” Yes, this is the lament of many CQ developers/designers. Until today.
With this spectacular offer, you will get a a bookmark that will allow you to toggle the WCM mode (enables/disabled). What you get when the WCM mode is enables is nothing. No sidekick and no left-nav DAM interface. Just your page. Here’s how it works…
- Create a new bookmark in your browser(s) of choice. Give any name you like (I chose ‘Toggle Preview’ because I l like to live on the edge).
- Paste the code below into path.
- Navigate to your CQ Author instance and fire up your Experience Manager and find a page
- Take notice that your Sidekick and left-nav DAM interface are visible.
- Click on your new Toggle Preview shortcut
- Astonish your coworkers with your new sorcerous powers
Here’s the code. Grab everything between the “===”:
Unfortunately, like other cool things, this will not work in CQ5.4 or Internet Explorer.
Please let me know if you have any issues with this. I’ll be happy to help, if I can.