Last night, I finally accepted the challenge thrown down by a co-worker (Architect’s Log). I recently received my BBB and have been getting familiar with the environment.
First, I jumped right into the terminal of Angstrom, the preloaded linux distro. It took a little while but I’m getting used to some of the nuances. I started off with following the BeagleBone Linux 101 guide which seems to track pretty close to my experience. SUDO is not available in the package download but I found a site where I could download and manually install to get running.
The next step was to get Java running. I downloaded the jdk-7u25-linux-arm-sfp.tar.gz from the Java SE Downloads page but it doesn’t seem to be there anymore… jdk-7u21-linux-arm-sfp.tar.gz will work too.
I added Java to my path and tested. Here’s my method:
- add the uncompressed folder to /opt (had to create)
- create symbolic link to this folder called java. i.e. ln -s /opt/jdk1.7.0_25 java
- add this to my .bashrc: “export JAVA_HOME=/opt/java“
- and this as last line: “export PATH=$PATH:$JAVA_HOME/bin:$MAVEN/bin:” (did I forget to mention I installed maven too? Don’t worry… that’s coming up).
- restart the BBB: shutdown -r now
- after server returns test with “java -version” and bask in the glory
So, then I installed maven nearly the same exact way.
I should add that I created a HOSTS entry for the ethernet interface for my BBB.Finally, I downloaded the source for karaf 2.3.2. Once unpacked, I followed the instructions in the BUILDING file. This didn’t go so well for me. The build goes on for about 15 mins and then failed. I tried a couple times but didn’t feel like debugging the issue (it was getting late). I downloaded v.3.0.1.rc1 binary. After unpacking to /opt I fired it up and it ran like a champ. I even fired up the webconsole with “feature:install webconsole“. Finally, on my laptop (on the same network), I navigate to http://beaglebone.local:8181/system/console/
So, the process worked but this is just the beginning. Now I need to begin writing bundles to run on the BBB. Check back to see how that goes.